Saturday, September 5, 2009

Wait

I read a book once; it was called ‘Waiting’, by Ha Jin (I think). It involved a man, unhappily married, who waits so that he can marry his true love, and then decides that marriage is pretty crappy either way. I am sure, that wasn’t the point of the book, but that is what I remember.
Anyway, today is my day of waiting. Not for my ‘true love’ or anything (which I am pretty sure doesn’t exist anyway), but for something to happen. The last few days have been such a great rush, that now I am sitting here, with n-o-t-h-i-n-g to do, and I feel this emptiness.
Perhaps that is what a pre historic Neanderthal felt. I mean, what did those guys do? I mean, granted you had some giants that had it in for you, healthcare was not cake, and yeah, cake did not exist (the horror!); but even then, you had to sit around and wait for the sun to move his ass, so that you could have your next meal. And, thus started human development, out of boredom.
It is my theory that due to lack of things to do, a dude was probably rubbing sticks and stones together, and discovered fire. Why else, of all things, would someone sit down and rub stuff together?
The same with a wheel, some dude (or dudette to be fair) was most likely, playing with sharp things and wood, she decided it was an interesting shape, and voila! We have the wheel. Next boredom/evolution thought process went like this, let’s put a metal chassis on the wheels and blow up the world! Whee!
My point is this, waiting is never fun, and we spend more than half of our life, waiting. I mean, my birthday is tomorrow, and I’ve been waiting for it all year, and more so this last week, because you have amazing expectations. Then the day rolls around, and you realise, you have nothing to wait for. Because, it’s really just another day, more fun maybe, but a day.
We’re always waiting, some expectations are always cued, and then what, you realise it was all the same.

|The following has been stolen from my beloved Anta, whom i'm married to.................
#Lesson for the day: Waiting is not fun, what you are waiting for just might be.

6 comments:

Antara said...

Anta be very happy for your lesson! And yes, I agree point blank with every one of your views about waiting. In fact, I've been waiting a long time for a long post from you.

Aanandita Chawla said...

:D
its you anta, my sole inspiration :D
i ripped your blog off :D
i've been thinking for a long time, on starting to maintain my blog like a 'blog'........finally.............
after a long wait!!!

Unknown said...

dont worry...you're wait's gonna be good...you'll have a great day 2mrw...
btw HAPPY BIRTHDAY in advance...!!

Mishika said...

Happy Birthday!
I'm sure whatever you'll get today would be totally worth the wait!

Rene Lacoste said...

I don't mean to sound preachy at all...but for me, life is all about what you do when you're waiting for stuff to happen. I've discovered half of my passions this way...a pen in hand, running on paper, tissue or heck, even skin

Diwakar Sinha said...

i guess waiting can be killing chilling or thrilling :) depending on the way you go ahead with it. Last time i waited for a real long time (15 days) trying my hand at research, n realized it was fun.

Wolfish

There is hair Everywhere Behind my knees Between that crease, In my nose Between my brows And just yesterday I Found one on my chin Perhaps...